The primary job of a police officer is to protect life and property. Most police jobs may also entail working in odd duty hours. You should be able to highlight on your resume your trustworthiness and knowledge of laws and regulations. Highlight these qualifications depending on which particular specialty you want to apply for.
As you describe your objectives as a police officer, you should express your motivation and interest to work under the job vacancy.
In your summary list of qualifications, put your qualifications in a way so that it can easily catch attention.
In your work experience, write down what you have accomplished as a police officer for your past superiors. Any awards or recognition you may have received would also help. Try to avoid putting in work gaps in your work history.
On your education and training, put in all related trainings and seminars you have attended. Also write down any relevant licenses you may have, like firearms licenses.
A final note in writing your police officer resume, make sure that important information are easily spotted. It should be light and concise for a person to read.
Police Resume Format and Example
Jerry K. Ludwig
4664 Moonlight Drive
Hopewell (mercer), NJ 08525
Email Address: JerryKLudwig@signed-first-edition.com
Experienced police officer looking for work in a rural area..
Police Officer, 1998 – Present
* Enforce vehicle operation and parking laws.
* Direct traffic.
* Answer calls involving fires, accidents, and various misdemeanors and felonies.
* Make arrests and issues citations.
* Maintain surveillance on criminal suspects and unauthorized persons on campus.
* Escort bank deposits in accordance with established University policies.
* Escort prisoners and serve warrants.
* Complete reports of arrests, accidents, interviews, and evidence of property received.
* Attend training sessions.
* Act as trainer of new personnel.
* Assist in case preparation as required.
* Testify in court.
Probational Police Officer New York Police Department, 1997-1998
* Observed doors and windows of banks and business establishments to ensure their security and to check for signs of damage and/or illegal entry.
* Drove to and around areas of high crime incidence to look for criminal and immoral activity, and to make presence known to prevent criminal activity.
* Performed duties at the scene of a motor vehicle accident.
* Summoned emergency equipment needed at an accident scene, in order to provide the necessary services as quickly as possible.
* Interviewed operators, occupants, and witnesses in order to help determine how, when, and why the accident occurred; completed accident report forms.
* Performed duties at the scene of a fight or domestic dispute.
* Separated parties involved in a fight situation by physically intervening or escorting one party out of reach of the other, in order to prevent injury to any of the parties involved; attempted to calm parties involved in a fight situation in order to gain control of the situation.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
* Graduate, New York State Police Academy, 1997
CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES
* License to carry concealed firearms.
* Emergency Medical Technician, State Certification